Tuesday, February 4, 2014

An event that has shaped my life

The library for some people is a sanctuary from the real world. It is also a knowledge bank that never runs out. I used to frequent my school library back when I had just entered secondary school because I was so fascinated by the collection of books on planets as well as to catch up on humorous anecdotes of Garfield’s life.

But one fine day, The Librarian called me over to her reception desk. I can still vividly recall the wrath that was painted all over her face as I approached with heavy steps. Afterwards, she requested to check my library account only to find out that I had overdue fines. I was so confused because the fines were related to books that I was quite certain I did not borrow. My confusion soon aggravated into vexation as we started quarreling. Expectedly, The Librarian had it her way.

From that day on, I had been avoiding The Librarian and the library altogether. It was tragic because consequently during my succeeding adolescent years I did not manage to cultivate reading as a hobby. Although the incident might have seemed minute, I felt that it was somehow an influence of disproportionate magnitude towards my attitude on reading thereafter.

But things are different now. I am glad that I have begun to read more often again ever since the days in the army when time was really abundant.


(Word count: 235)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rais! I really like how you're very descriptive about your emotions. That way, I could relate to the situation you were facing then. However, I don't quite get what the last sentence of your third paragraph means :< But other than that, I felt that I could understand why the librarian has changed your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting and compelling post, Rais. You set the stage of the conflict well by first describing how libraries are typically a "sanctuary" and a "knowledge bank." Then the drama begins as you clearly detail the librarian and her accusations.

    I only wonder about the altercation when you state the "librarian had it her way." What does that mean? Did you have to pay for the books? Was there a fine?

    What makes this a compelling reflection is the way you use the incident to explain how you started to avoid the library and reading all together. What a pity it is, of course, when an older person, one who should be encouraging a love of books among the young, can't see that her action, no matter how "minute," might have irreparable consequences.

    Luckily, you have grown beyond that event, and with time to read during your NS period, you were able to rekindle an interest in books once more.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rais,

    I like the description you've used in your post.
    Especially the first paragraph about your view on library.

    Just like you, library was one of my favorite hangout place when i was young.However,with the development of eBooks,I rarely visit the library nowadays.It's indeed more convenient with eBook but there's no place that can provide such a conducive environment for reading like the library

    Cheers,
    Pam^^

    ReplyDelete