Friday, January 24, 2014

My English language learning journey

Let me tell you about my hatred love for English.

English has always been a bane of my academic career. When I was in high school, it was never my desirable subject. As a matter of fact, I scored poorly for English for the leaving examination. During that point of my academic journey, it was the decisive factor that steered me towards an admission to a polytechnic course over Junior College. Alas, being prudent – and sensible – my apprehension about the General Paper subject in Junior College deterred me from taking the latter option. Fortunately I did not regret about this crucial decision because I certainly had a pleasant student life in polytechnic.


But! To my utter dismay, I was required to sign up for ES1102 in NUS as a supplementary module (read: bane of my academic career). Although I do not have as much love interest in English as Ernest Hemingway might have had, I am taking it in stride and embracing the learning experience. Furthermore, having a good command of the language will definitely facilitate me in future report writings and presentations for other modules. So, I hope to do my best to get the best out of this module.


(Word count: 201)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Rais:) Great post! I enjoyed reading it.
    Here are a few points to consider.

    - As bane is a noun, you might want to phrase it this way:
    Instead of: English has always been a bane of my academic career.
    You might say: English has always been a bane for my academic career.

    -When I was in high school, it was never my desirable subject.
    You might say:
    It seems wrong to say my desirable subject. But perhaps, a desirable subject.

    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Brad to Bane:

    This is a clear, concise first post, Rais. While I might have liked to have learned more about why English became viewed negatively by you, you do explain that you've been basically avoiding as much contact as possible with the subject. (Is that why you still have a wide smile on your face?)

    Whatever the case, I appreciate the positive attitude toward the task at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rais,

    I enjoyed reading your post as it is short and to the point. I think i can totally understand why General Paper deterred many people from entering Junior College. Overall, i think your language is fluent. Good effort!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete