Thursday, April 17, 2014

Critical Reflection on ES1102

There are a few things that I have realised by the end of this module. Firstly, it is not embedded in my genes to be eloquent in English. Secondly, and more importantly, that inadequacy does not matter as long as I am willing to learn and improve myself. But letting myself to be thrown into the fire was hard. The learning journey throughout this course was arduous for me. I had, and is still having, a hard time trying to construct proper sentence structures and find the right words to use. Ironically during the course, we had to provide feedbacks for our peers' writings, which made me question my qualification to do so. But it was a good exercise because we became more conscious of our mistakes and we learned something new from others.

Apart from the opportunity to learn from our peers, the course itself has offered a systematic learning framework where we learned the science of writing. I was being introduced to grammar forms which I did not knew existed before. Upon learning them, it has made my writings more structured and readable.

Despite the things that I have learned, I am still far from being a good writer. I still find myself struggling to come up with a quality essay draft within a short period of time. I am particularly concern about this since that will be the kind of situation that we will be facing in the final exam. Perhaps the best ways to improve myself before the exam is to practice writing on paper more and to read more journals and reviews. These will allow me to mentally prepare myself.

Of course, my English learning journey does not end after the finals. I will make the conscious effort to keep improving because after all, it is really not about the genes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rais, for this entertaining reflection. I appreciate the nurture versus nature framework that you set this clear, concise discussion within. While your essay is brief, you focus well, covering some aspects of the peer review process, an area worth highlighting. You also acknowledge how much you have yet to learn, and you present the final exam as one specific context where you need to take action. This connects to the Gibb's model, which was required for this task.

    All in all, this is a good effort, one more to add to your fine portfolio this semester.

    Best of luck, Rais, as you continue your life/study journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback Brad!

    ReplyDelete